Manually configure eduroam connection on Windows
You must have cookies enabled to successfully access the enrollment system. Additionally, some browser privacy plug-ins or extensions such as NoScript, Self-Destructing Cookies, RequestPolicy, etc may interfere with the enrollment process. We recommend temporarily disabling these plug-ins.
- Make sure WiFi is turned on. Select UNCA_Guest from the list of available wireless networks. You may be prompted to enter your name and an email address.
- Open a web browser and navigate to https://wifi.unca.edu if not automatically redirected. Agree to the Acceptable Use Policies and click Start.
- Select Students, Faculty and Staff on the University Affiliation page.
- Enter your UNC Asheville credentials and click Log In.
- Select eduroam for Wireless Access Type.
- Agree to the the eduroam Acceptable Use Policy and click Continue.
- Click on Show all operating systems, then Other Operating Systems.
- Click on Step 1 to install the CA certificate. Confirm save location for the file to be downloaded. Once download is complete, open the file and click Install Certificate.
- Store Location should by default be set to Current User. Click Next.
- Leave the default Certificate Store setting as is and click Next, then click Finish. You should receive confirmation that the import was successful. Click OK on the notification and on the certificate installation window to close both.
- Click on Step 2 to install your user certificate. Confirm save location for the file to be downloaded. Once download is complete, open the file, leave the default Store Location unchanged, and click Next.
- Leave the file name of the certificate unchanged and click Next.
- Enter your UNCA password and click Next.
- Leave the default Certificate Store setting as is and click Next, then click Finish. You should receive confirmation that the import was successful. Click OK on the notification to close it.
- Open Network and Sharing Center and click on Set up a new connection or network. Select Manually connect to a wireless network and click Next.
- Enter eduroam for Network name, select WPA2-Enterprise for Security type, and AES for Encryption type, then click Next. You should be advised that a network called eduroam already exists. Click on Use the existing network.
- Find eduroam in the list of available wireless networks, right-click select Properties. On the Security tab, select Microsoft: Smart Card or other certificate for authentication method and click Settings.
- Make sure that Use a certificate on this computer is selected, and that Use simple certificate selection is checked. Check the box next to Validate server certificate and Connect to these servers. Enter wifi.unca.edu in the box. Find UNCA Wireless Root CA 1 in the list of Trusted Root Certification Authorities and check it. Leave Do not prompt user to authorize new servers or trusted certification checked and click OK.
- Click OK to close the Wireless Network Properties dialog. Select eduroam from the list of available wireless networks and click connect. You should now have full internet access via the eduroam network, and your device will connect to eduroam automatically whenever you are in range of the network. The security certificate issued will be valid for one (1) year, at which time you will need to re-enroll your device.