Zoom from within SmartClassrooms
Many of UNC Asheville’s Smart Classrooms have installed ‘Classroom capture kits’ which serve as a solution for faculty wishing to incorporate web conferencing technologies (Zoom Meeting and Google Meet) within their on-campus courses. The below information is intended to assist campus members in getting started with these programs from within a UNC Asheville Smart classroom enabled with a ‘classroom capture kit’.
Classroom Capture Kits
- Approximately 30 classrooms have these kits [web cameras with pan, tilt & zoom capabilities, and either a lavalier (personal) or desktop (table top room support) microphones] placed in classroom space that maximize their availability among courses and curricular divisions that require this advanced level of equipment support. Placement of kits are coordinated each semester by the Registrars’ Office, the campus Senior Admin-Space Planner, and CTL Director, and supported by ITS Academic Technology Services staff.
- Video Capture kits are fully compatible with the web conference equipment specifications required by Zoom Meeting and offer expanded capacities above those offered by most laptop internal microphone and cameras. Clients have the option of selecting additional web conference equipment via Zoom Meeting video settings, as well as audio settings. If you are having trouble with a classroom capture kit or using Zoom in a classroom, please refer to the below article for common troubleshooting steps. Troubleshooting
- Faculty may request classroom technology support by completing the following CTL Request Form. Please note that submitting a request doesn't guarantee that equipment will be assigned to your classroom, but every effort will be made to fulfill as many requests as possible.
- Smart Classroom support should be directed to the ITS Helpdesk (email@example.com) for non-emergent issues, and (828)251-6445 for immediate classroom technical support assistance.https://its.unca.edu/support-services/tech-support/
Connecting and Testing
- Clients utilizing their campus issued laptops are strongly encouraged to follow the instructions listed in the ‘Connecting Laptops’ ITS Knowledge Base article prior to the planned course meeting date. https://kb.unca.edu/help/labs-and-classroom/connecting-laptops
- Some classroom capture kits have a CAD7 tabletop microphone for use in highly collaborative teaching environments. This microphone will support dispersed meeting participants within most standard classrooms allowing for robust conversations between both local and remote students. Instructions for configuring the CAD7 tabletop microphone may be found at the following Knowledge Base article. : https://kb.unca.edu/help/distance-learning-services/broadband-equipment-and-testing/usb-tabletop-microphone-configuration-c-media-cad-u7
- Pre-event testing ensures that faculty have all necessary connection cables and software, as well as allowing for testing display settings on the installed video projection system. ATS staff are available by appointment to assist with this testing as needed.
- You can join a create and start/join a Zoom meeting test session at anytime (24/7) without needing to use your assigned Zoom Meeting licensed account by visiting http://zoom.us/test. This connection will familiarize yourself with Zoom utilization from the classroom setting, as well as allowing you to test video or audio equipment, and equipment settings. In addition to initially testing your camera/microphone/speakers once you have your classroom assignment, it is recommended that you use the test link before joining each scheduled class session.
Resources for assistance or followup questions and concerns.
Contact UNC Asheville's Information Technology IT Service Desk for assistance in implementing the above described services and support. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 828.251.6445
Contact UNC Asheville's Center for Teaching and Learning unit for pedagogy and teaching strategies regarding this knowledge base article. Email: email@example.com. or by calling 828.251.6540
Use the Zoom Video Communication system knowledge base for Zoom meeting specific support questions or concerns. www.zoom.us/support