If you are considering adding a digital signage display to your area please read through this document to establish expectations and begin the request with ITS
UNCA supports 2 types of digital signage: Basic and Advanced.
Basic Digital Signage:
- Lowest cost option
- Allows users to display a single slideshow based in Google Slides
- Content can be edited by anyone who the owner designates with only a web browser from any location
- New content appears on the sign within 15 minutes
- Does not support touch interaction
- Does not support scheduling of content
- Support is for slideshow only, cannot display RSS feeds, weather, or any additional content
Basic Digital Signage Hardware:
- A signage display and mount: Displays must be rated for 24/7 operation.
- A Chrome OS signage player - The brains of the sign
- HDMI Cable - 3 foot (Connects to the display)
- Network Cable - Long enough to reach between the player and your network port
- Power - For best results, Facilities Management can mount an outlet behind the display.
- Power can be drawn from a nearby outlet but this may require the use of extension cords and wall raceway at an additional cost. Leaving the plug exposed may lead to inadvertent or malicious tampering.
- Network - For best results work with ITS to have a network drop installed behind the display. This typically costs between $200 and $800 and is done by an outside contractor.
- Data can be drawn from a nearby outlet but this may require the use of wall raceway at an additional cost. Leaving the plug exposed may lead to inadvertent or malicious tampering.
- The stakeholders review this document and fill in the signage request from: https://forms.gle/DEmNwKveTWh2NAdH7.
- ITS communicates with the stakeholders and assists in purchasing equipment.
- The stakeholders create a slideshow and share the slideshow unique identifier with ITS.
- The signage content is reviewed by Communications and Marketing for consistency and branding.
- The Stakeholders contact ITS to receive a quote for network installation
- Facilities Management mounts the display and installs power near the mount, ITS contractor installs network drop.
- ITS installs the hardware and configures it to display your slideshow.
Basic signage request form: https://forms.gle/DEmNwKveTWh2NAdH7
Advanced Digital Signage
- Supports touch interaction, scheduling, multiple regions, live data.
- More costly option.
- Requires significant time investment to create and maintain content.
- Requires training to learn content management system (Four Winds Interactive).
If you are interested in learning more about Advanced Digital Signage please contact firstname.lastname@example.org