Commercial cleaning solutions can, unfortunately, damage computer equipment. Computer screens are coated with special treatments to reduce glare, and common cleaners (including Lysol, bleach, etc) can cause these coatings to break down.
- Shut down your computer before cleaning it.
- Never spray or apply cleaning solutions directly to your computer. Instead, apply the cleaning solution to a lint-free cloth (such as those used for cleaning eyeglasses), then use the dampened cloth to clean your device.
- Many commercial cleaning products are not designed for electronic devices, and may leave a residue. Instead, use one of the following solutions:
- Dilute a small amount of antibacterial soap in warm water.
- Mix a 50:50 solution of warm water and 70% isopropyl alcohol.
- Use a Clorox disinfecting wipe (or similar product).
- Apply cleaning solutions lightly, and only with a dampened cloth or wipe.
- Leave the computer off while you clean it, and make sure it is totally dry before turning it back on.
Using a 70 percent isopropyl alcohol wipe or Clorox Disinfecting Wipes (or similar product) that do not contain bleach, you may gently wipe the hard, nonporous surfaces of your device, such as the display, keyboard, or other exterior surfaces. Don't use bleach or products containing bleach. Avoid getting moisture in any opening, and don't submerge your device product in any cleaning agents. Don't use on fabric or leather surfaces.
To learn whether or not a specific product contains bleach, visit http://www.smartlabel.org/products and search for that product. If it contains "sodium hypochlorite" avoid using it to clean electronic equipment.